Wednesday, November 10, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

I got home from my athletic training meeting today and was at a complete loss as to what to do. I caught up on my most recent recorded episodes of my favorite shows (glee and gilmore girls), talked with my sister, and was about to get started on some homework so I could have the whole 4 days off to do what I please when I came across my old favorite tv show on my channel guide.



This show got me thinking about my other favorite things from when I was growing up, like the little disney figurines I played with, my legos, and my rock tumbler (yeah I was a cool kid). I thought of my old shows like Dinosaurs (best show ever by the way), Sesame Street, the Wonder Years (not exactly from the time I grew up but I watched it all the time when I was little), and Happy Days (again, from a while ago but I was a huge Fonz fan).

Anywho, this got me thinking about what kids growing up in the Massachusetts Bay Colony looked back on as their favorite things from their childhood. In class we looked at what was used to teach their ABC's, a very religiously biased alphabet story board type of thing. Personally, besides my parents and teachers using books, I learned my ABC's from Elmo which always gives me a warm fuzzy (and slightly red) feeling inside to have something cute to look back on while writing a paper... or a blog post. But what did these kids have to look back on? Personally, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from a strict schooling and a structured childhood. It really interesting to think about how differently everyone's childhood is. I was reading a site on children from around the world and seeing how each child celebrates holidays and spends their time. All the kids celebrate so many different things and each of their societies has different values but they all love playing ball and hanging out with their friends. I guess that no matter where children come from, they still enjoy the same things, if they're from the 1600's (i'm a 1790's girl myself ;]), the 90's, or from a small village in Kenya. Kids will be kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment