Thursday, June 2, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

I am in the midst of watching one of the most moving documentaries I have ever seen. It is called Dear Jack and it is about my hero Andrew McMahon. He is the lead singer of both Jack's Mannequin and Something corporate and is one of the most incredible people I have ever met. In 2005 he was diagnosed with adult leukemia and survived when it seemed there was no chance he could. In the movie he talks about the ending of his relationship with his long time girlfriend before he was diagnosed and how when he got sick, they found each other again and it was like the beginning of something new. I feel like that a lot this week as we transition out of being juniors and take our first steps into senior year and getting closer and closer to becoming adults. Through out the year we've been talking about how things start and finish, how seasons reflect a comedy or a tragedy in stories, and how one ending in history opens another new beginning. So I guess with this being my last graded blog post, the end of my junior year, and the start of senior year, I should reflect on all that I've done (not like its an assignment or anything haha)

The blog post I'm most proud of this quarter is And the shot heard round the world was the start of the revolution. Although it may not have been my most well crafted blog post, it is one of my favorites from the whole year. It was the biggest mind-f moments ever to meet the people who wrote a letter that we studied in class. Both the women were so amazing and explained their points so well I really understood why they did what they did in writing that letter. And I think that me going through this moment was really what I wanted to get out of AS this year. I wanted to be able to learn from different points of view and see where my true ideals lie. Obviously, one class can't do all of that for me but finding out things about literature and life that I have never known opened my eyes to a new part of the world. There is always room for improvement and I think I could really go into more depth in some of my blog posts but I think my overall comfort and ability to successfully use this medium to share my thoughts has improved greatly since the beginning of the year when I just wrote paragraphs and pretended that each post was a mini-essay.

That's really all I have to say, but its been a great ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment